Amsterdam Fashion Academy
- Nieuwe Herengracht 103
1011 RZ Amsterdam
- +31 6 82044436
- K 19
- Kunst und Kultur
The Amsterdam Fashion Academy is a progressive, creative fashion school located in the heart of Amsterdam. Our goal is to give each of our students the tools they need to follow their fashion dreams. Small class sizes and individual attention make the Amsterdam Fashion Academy the ideal place to study for a university-awarded fashion bachelor’s degree programme.
Our status as a small scale, intimate and supportive fashion academy is part of our core identity and informs our approach to teaching. We are proud of being a space for students who do not feel at home in traditional ‘mass’ educational establishments. With regard to class sizes, less really is more: fewer students per class means our tutors are able to give every student the personal attention they need to flourish and grow whilst maintaining their individuality.
The Amsterdam Fashion Academy is a unique, highly specialised academy; a veritable Mecca for fashion mavericks! The combination of stylish sophistication with unconventional individualism makes the Amsterdam Fashion Academy a cut above the rest. Live industry projects, internships and guest lectures with leading fashion brands, such as Viktor&Rolf, Iris van Herpen, Numero Magazine, Fashion for Good, Highsnobiety, Spring Studios, give our international students invaluable first-hand experience of how the industry really works.
The Amsterdam Fashion Academy’s Bachelor’s Degrees in Fashion Business and Bachelor’s Degree with Honours in Fashion Design programmes offer students a thorough grounding in our key pillars:
- Sustainability, Diversity and Inclusion;
- Digital Fashion;
Schwerpunkte des Bildungsangebots
Bachelor's degree Fashion Business - 4 years (click here)
The Bachelor's degree Fashion Business is a 4-year full-time programme currently subject to the Dutch NVAO accreditation. It is an academic degree course with a total of 240 ECTS. Our innovative programme combines strategic elements, such as marketing, branding and communication with more aesthetic considerations like styling and content creation. The go-to-market, social media and business plan elements of the programme equip entrepreneurs with what they need to start their own brand.
You will graduate with a range of industry-relevant digital skills, such as InDesign, CLO3D and Photoshop, giving you the tools needed to work in whatever area of the fashion industry that interests you most. Furthermore, your internship with an existing brand, together with industry-set briefs, will give you invaluable experience for the next stage of your business career and a thorough understanding of promotion, market trends and professional practices.
Bachelor's degree Fashion Business & Innovation - 3 years (click here)
This state-of-the-art 3-year programme provides the fashion business knowledge and the skills that are the most requested by global fashion and luxury companies. It is aimed at preparing students on trending topics of the industry both on the theory and its practical application on the management of projects. It is enriched by special masterclasses from key opinion leaders and professionals of the industry, case histories and industry projects related to briefs from brands and innovative digital agencies.
Students are trained, in a very interactive way, to enter the fashion and luxury industry with full awareness and well-rounded preparation to become accomplished and respected managers and entrepreneurs of the fashion and luxury system as they are educated by fashion professionals, industry leaders as well as experienced lecturers.
Bachelor's Honours degree Fashion Design - 3 years (click here)
This is a 3-year full-time Bachelor’s degree with Honours accredited by the reputable Buckinghamshire New University for a total of 180 ECTS. Whether you plan to work at a top international fashion house or start your own fashion label, our Fashion Design degree programme will help you realise your unique potential. Additionally, your internship and live industry projects with actual brands will give you a taste of how the fashion industry really works and will prepare you to face your future with first-hand experience and confidence.
The programme encourages you to embrace entrepreneurship, diversity and a sustainable attitude to fashion. You will also be learning first-class digital skills, such as CLO3D: future-proofing your employment opportunities whilst simultaneously lessening your environmental impact on the world.
Foundation Diploma in Fashion - 1 year (click here)
This is a 1-year full-time programme that ensures access into our Bachelor’s degree programmes. This programme is an exciting and innovative general introduction to fashion (both design and business) to give you the skills needed to understand and succeed on a fashion-related degree programme, besides offering you the opportunity to develop a fashion portfolio. After completing successfully the Foundation Diploma in Fashion, students can progress automatically onto our Bachelor's degree Fashion Design or Bachelor's degree Fashion Business.
Fast-Track Fashion Design & Business course - 3 months (click here)
This 3-month course is an ideal introduction to the world of fashion business and design and contains practical elements, giving you a deeper understanding of fashion’s place in history and culture. There is also an emphasis on entrepreneurship, sustainability and ethics in fashion. Over the 3 months, students become familiar with a wide range of fashion related areas, from branding, styling and marketing for the business minded, to more design-led elements like illustration, colour theory and design development. After completing the Fast-Track course in December, there is the option to progress onto the Foundation Diploma in Fashion and keep studying with us until June.
Summer courses - 2 to 4 weeks (click here)
If you would like to apply for a Bachelor's degree in fashion for September 2024 or later, and would like to develop some skills and knowledge in advance, then we suggest our summer courses in Fashion Design or Fashion Business. Thanks to these programmes you will have the opportunity to develop a complete fashion design or fashion business portfolio. At the end of the course, if we will evaluate your portfolio as exceptional, we will offer you a place in one of our Bachelor's degree programmes to start in September 2024, by-passing the full application process.
Our discerning students want to be treated as individuals and not just as ‘this year’s intake’. We want to get to know them personally, grow with them and encourage them to unleash their creative potential while equipping them with the skills and knowledge they need for a successful future in fashion. From running their own fashion label to heading up a marketing department, Amsterdam Fashion Academy offers students the specific skill sets needed to achieve their goals. Our graduates have a multitude of career pathways open to them post-study: from textile/print designer, pattern maker, product developer or tailor to marketer, branding expert, trend forecaster or fashion buyer, to name a few.
- 143 full-time students in the academic year 2022-2023;
- 19 lecturers coming from various countries;
- Average age of full-time students is 18-23 years old;
- 79% of students are international;
- 21% of students are Dutch;
- Students come from 42 different countries.
Bachelor's degree programmes: we require students to have one of these diplomas:
- International Baccalaureate Diploma minimum 28 points;
- Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (Level 3);
- European Baccalaureate;
- Reife- und Diplomprüfungszeugnis or Reifezeugnis/Reifeprüfungszeugnis;
- BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma;
- 4 GCSEs (with grade A* to C or 9 to 4) plus 2 subjects at AS level (with grade A* to C);
- 4 GCSEs (with grade A* to C or 9 to 4) plus 2 subjects at A level (with grade D/E);
- 3 GCSEs (with grade A* to C or 9 to 4) plus 3 subjects at A level (with grade A* to C);
- US High School Diploma with GPA 2.8 or better, plus SAT scores of 1050 or better;
- US High School Diploma with GPA 2.8 or better, plus two or three Advanced Placement tests with scores of 3 or better;
- US High School Diploma with GPA 2.8 or better, plus ACT scores of 24 or better.
PORTFOLIO: this is requested only for application to the Bachelor's Honours degree Fashion Design. We can support you in developing your portfolio.
Foundation Diploma in Fashion and Fast-Track course: if students don’t have one of the diplomas listed above, then they will need first to complete our Foundation Diploma in Fashion (1 year), which will give them direct access to our Bachelor’s degree programmes. Students must be at least 16 years old and have a proof of study from a high school
Summer courses: students must be at least 16 years old.
Please be informed that we are not legally able to sponsor non-EEA students for a study visa. Applicants must have an EEA passport (27 EU member states; Iceland; Liechtenstein; Norway; Switzerland) or Dutch residents permit to study in our Bachelor’s degree programmes.
Bachelor’s degree Fashion Business (4 years); BA (Hons) Fashion Business & Innovation (3 years) & BA (Hons) Fashion Design (3 years):
- Application fee: € 275
- Tuition fee:
- Year 1: €16.000 for students applying before April 3rd, 2023; €17.000 for students applying after April 3rd, 2023;
- Year 2: €16.000 for students passing the Year 1 with no resits; €17.000 for students passing the Year 1 with one or more resits;
- Year 3: €16.000 for students passing the Year 2 with no resits; €17.000 for students passing the Year 2 with one or more resits.
- Year 4: €8.000 for students passing the Year 3 with no resits; €9.000 for students passing the Year 3 with one or more resits.
It is possible to pay the tuition fee in instalments.
Foundation Diploma in Fashion
- Application fee: € 275
- Tuition fee: € 9.950 (payment plans available)
Fast-Track Fashion Design & Business course
- Application fee: € 125
- Tuition fee: € 5.700 (payment plans available)
Dauer der Ausbildung/Weiterbildung
- Bachelor's degree Fashion Business: 4 years (240 ECTS);
- Bachelor's Honours degree Fashion Business & Innovation: 3 years (180 ECTS);
- Bachelor's Honours degree Fashion Design: 3 years (180 ECTS);
- Foundation Diploma in Fashion: 1 year;
- Fast-Track Fashion Design & Business: 3 months;
- Summer courses: 2 to 4 weeks.
- Bachelor's of Arts in Fashion Business (240 ECTS)
- Bachelor's of Arts in Fashion Business & Innovation (180 ECTS)
- Bachelor's of Arts with Honours in Fashion Design (180 ECTS)